Buying carbon filters for a growing room or tent involves quite a bit of research. You do not have the luxury of making an impulsive buying decision.
This is so since there are so many brands out there with all kinds of claims. To make matters worse, some of them are unbelievably cheap.
So, buying a poor quality carbon filter is quite easy. But that doesn’t have to be the case because we managed to find five products that will help you get rid of the ill-smelling odors.
Our selections for the best carbon filters took into account all the important features an indoor grower would want to have.
- Top 5 The Best Carbon Filter Reviews
- Buying Guide
Top 5 The Best Carbon Filter Reviews
1. Hon & Guan 6” Carbon Filter – Best Overall
Introducing the Hon & Guan, a high-quality and highly durable six-inch carbon filter that features a reversible flange for long-lasting service life.
- 6-inch carbon filter
- Australian virgin activated charcoal bed
- A galvanized steel air scrubber
- Reversible smell filtration
- Enclosed environment odor control
- Versatile fresh air combo
This product features an Australian virgin activated charcoal bed, which is good because the material is machined packed for effective filtered airflow and it is environmentally friendly.
It comes with a galvanized steel air scrubber, which is not easily affected by chemical corrosion and it is more durable compared to an aluminum air scrubber.
You will appreciate the reversible smell filtration, considering that you can use the charcoal air filter as both exhaust and intake filters.
It comes with an impressive enclosed environment odor control, which helps to get rid of ill-smelling odors, keeping the grow room/tent healthy.
Another great feature is the versatility because it is compatible with six-inch inline fans, intake fans, duct fans, exhaust fans, air exchange fans, air ducts, and ventilation duct.
The only thing that we can complain about this carbon filter is the price, which is a little bit high for a tight budget.
- Activated charcoal used is environmentally friendly
- Chemical corrosion-free air scrubber with washable pre-filter
- Reversible design allows you to use it as an exhaust or intake filter
- Highly compatible with most 6-inch ventilation systems
- Does a great job of eliminating ill-smelling odors
- It is a little bit pricy for tight budgets
Hon & Guan is a wonderful carbon filter that will surely meet all your expectations.
2. AC Infinity 6” Air Carbon Filter – Most Expensive Design
AC Infinity 6” Air Carbon Filter is a suitable choice for eliminating chemicals and odors from your hydroponics room and grow tent.
- 6-inch air carbon filter
- 1200+ IAV Australian virgin charcoal
- Features premium Australian carbon
- Stainless steel flanges
- Comes with a pre-filter cloth
- Full air pass-through design
This product comes with 1200+ IAV Australian virgin charcoal, which has a higher surface area and micro-porosity rating for effective and long-lasting absorption.
It features durable stainless steel flanges that are chemical corrosion-free and fit flawlessly over your ducting. Not to mention that they are reversible for extended service life.
The filter comes equipped with a pre-filter cloth, which goes over the mesh body of the design to effectively prevent the buildup of carbon residue.
With its full air pass-through design made of an aluminum mesh, this carbon filter is capable of reducing CFM loss to maximize airflow.
It is a highly versatile filter that can eliminate all kinds of odors from your grow room, grow tent, hydroponics room, kitchens, and lounges.
You might not get any straps for hanging the filter, which is quite disappointing, considering how much you will pay for the product.
- Superior micro-porosity allows for effective odor absorption
- Stainless steel flanges are reversible for extended service life
- Very effective at preventing carbon residue buildup
- Suitable for all kinds of odors in your home
- Delivers maximum airflow with very minimal loss of CFM
- You may not receive any straps for hanging the filter
With this product installed in your grow room or tent, you will no longer have to worry about any annoying pungent smells.
3. G-Hydro 6” Air Carbon Filter – Most Diverse Applications
If you want a carbon filter that is capable of removing both ill-smelling odors and dust from the air of your grow room or tent, you should look no further than the G-Hydro 6”.
- 6-inch carbon filter
- 1050+RC48 activated carbon from AUS
- Ultra-light ABS material
- Stainless steel textured high gloss flange and base
- 150 GSM pre-filter
This filter uses 1050+RC48 activated carbon from Australia, which is the most absorbent carbon you will ever come across that delivers a hundred percent filtered airflow.
It is fitted with high gloss stainless steel textured flange and base, which is great because they are highly durable and not easily affected by chemical reactions.
This product has a superior panel ventilation rate of about 53 percent that does an amazing job of increasing work efficiency by reducing air volume loss.
Its high performing pre-filter material is very effective at blocking up to 99 percent of all the particles present in your grow room or tent.
You will like the diversity of this model, considering that you can use it with an exhaust filter or air intake filter.
It is possible to receive a defective carbon filter that may stop working after a month or so. Make sure you confirm that the product in the package is new.
- Delivers 100 percent filtered airflow for your grow room/tent
- Superior panel ventilation rate reduces air volume loss
- Pre-filter material keeps the unit from clogging by trapping all particles
- Long service life thanks to the reversible flange and base
- Great odor management frees your grow room of all kinds of smells
- Possible to receive a defective carbon filter
This product has diverse applications for both exhaust and air intake filters. But beware of malfunctioning products.
4. Vivos 4” Air Carbon Filter – Best 4-Inch Design
Introducing the Vivosun, a decent quality carbon filter that can be used for not only growing plants but also for any time you need to filter air.
- 4-inch air carbon filter
- 1050+ Australian virgin charcoal bed
- 53% open area (inner and outer mesh)
- Reversible and detachable flange and base
- Pre-filter included
This model comes with a pre-filter on the outside to protect it from hair and dust to allow the carbon filter on the inside to eliminate odors on the molecular level.
The premium quality Australian virgin charcoal carbon used in this filter is expected to be useful for up to two years. Also, it can remove odors from a variety of sources, such as plants and pets.
The metal mesh casing on the inside allows up to 53 percent airflow, which is great because this helps to increase the efficiency of the filter.
The flange and base of this carbon filter are detachable and reversible, making the design highly versatile and durable irrespective of the application.
Unlike conventional filters, you can use this model as an intake filter (air is blown into the carbon filter) and as an exhaust filter (air is sucked through the carbon filter).
You should not rule out the possibility of receiving a package that contains a defective Vivosun filter. So, always make sure the product comes with a warranty.
- Pre-filter prevents hair dust from clogging the unit
- It eliminates ill-smelling odors from plants and pets
- Reversible and detachable flange increases service life
- Can be used as an intake or exhaust filter
- You get straps for hanging it in your grow room/tent
- It is possible to get a defective product
This is a good quality carbon filter that will work just fine for your grow room, tent, cabinets, and carbons. Just make sure the shipped model is not defective.
5. IPower 4” Air Carbon Filter – Best Value for Money
Introducing the iPower 4” Air Carbon Filter, a decent quality model that delivers ultimate performance in air scrubbing.
- 4-inch carbon filter
- 1050+ IAV Australian RC412 Activated Carbon
- Pre-filter is included
- Reversible flange and base
- Superior airflow of 200 CFM
This model uses high-quality Australian activated carbon, which is a great feature because the carbon is highly absorbent and very reliable for eliminating ill-smelling odors.
You will appreciate the included pre-filter material on the exterior, considering the great job it does of protecting the carbon filter from residue buildup and clogging.
This product is highly versatile because you can use it as an exhaust filter or as an intake filter, allowing you to depend on it on a variety of applications.
With this model, you should expect an extended service life thanks to the reversible flange and base. The flange and base are also resistant to chemical corrosion.
There is no warranty information provided. So, we advise you to make sure that the shipped product works just fine out of the box.
- Activated carbon bed used is highly absorbent
- Pre-filter material ensures there isn’t any clogging
- It works both as an intake filter and exhaust filter
- Reversible flange and base increase the service life
- It eliminates 99 percent of odors from plants and pets
- No warranty information provided for this product
This is a decent carbon filter for the money. It will get rid of ill-smelling odors from plants and pets.
There are so many carbon filter brands and models on today’s market. The benefit here is that you will not miss a product that fits your budget.
However, not all the affordable products you will come across will offer you the performance you have been looking in a carbon filter.
We recommend that you stop shopping blindly and consider the following factors:
Intake or Exhaust Filter
These are the two popular ways a carbon filter works. You may come across an intake filter, an exhaust filter, or a unit that functions as both an intake and exhaust filter.
With an intake filter, the air is blown into the carbon filter; while with an exhaust filter, the air is sucked through the carbon filter.
A unit that is designed to use both mechanisms is the most suitable one because it is compatible with most applications, including:
- Duct fans
- Inline fans
- Intake and exhaust fans
- Ventilation ducts
- Air exchange fans
Carbon Filter Size
You cannot go wrong with the size of your carbon filter because it has to match your application. There are usually different sizes you can choose from.
For example, if you have a six-inch duct fan or inline fan, you will have to match it to a six-inch carbon filter and not a four-inch.
Quality of the Carbon Filter
This goes without saying that the quality of any carbon filter is determined by the materials used. The most popular and commonly preferred choice is Australian activated charcoal.
This material works by trapping toxins at a molecular level. This removes any contaminants from the air that may harm your plants.
This is a must-have feature for us because it plays an important role in the filtration process. This material traps all the hair and dirt outside the carbon filter.
This will ensure that the air is super clean before it goes through the carbon filter. This will prevent any clogging or buildup.
Detachable and Reversible Flange and Base
This is another important feature. Reversible flange and base will help improve the service life of the carbon filter.
Our overall best model is the Hon & Guan 6” Carbon Filter. This is a highly versatile product that can be used as an intake and exhaust filter.
Unlike conventional products on the market, this high-performance model uses premium Australian virgin activated charcoal bed to effectively filter the air of your grow room.
This model also comes with a switchable filter flange and base for longer service life. And heavy-duty inner and outer mesh for increased airflow.
Overall, we recommend you choose a carbon filter that uses an Australian virgin activated charcoal bed.